The Yellow Wizard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ye Olde Roleplaying forum with ye tavern feele. Stay awhile, have an adventure

You are not connected. Please login or register

Monsters

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Monsters Empty Monsters Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I sometimes make monsters (or take requests for making monsters), so here's a thread for monsters that you've made or you'd like to see.

Roc Lobster:

Toaster Pig:

...Yeah, those are pretty weird.
I'm looking at maybe doing a monster based on this:

2Monsters Empty Re: Monsters Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Onions

Onions
Golden Cat Lord
Golden Cat Lord

Quark wrote:I sometimes make monsters (or take requests for making monsters), so here's a thread for monsters that you've made or you'd like to see.
Toaster Pig:

...Yeah, those are pretty weird.
I'm looking at maybe doing a monster based on this:

Yay, toaster pig! I wonder is maybe the Challenge Rating a little low for this? O _ O.

Also, when making monsters is there a calculation or set of guidelines that helps determine CR? Or is it just an estimate based on tasty evaluation? Previously when I made my own stuff up, I never really fidgeted with a CR score, just put in some abilities I thought would be semi 'suitable' hehe.. and rough hp amounts, but most of my players always opted for uber cheese min maxing madness, so they'd slice through things semi instantly much to my surprise. These were terrible times for me as a dm, noticing a trend in players moving from 2nd edition to 3rd edition dungeons and dragons. 2nd ed players seemed to play more interested in story and exploration elements, nearly all 3rd ed players I'd meet and try to dm for or play with were all into uber maxness as much as possible. I suppose even I was the same when I first heard about D&D though, so I can't fault them. Not trying to say Toaster pig is uber cheese max though, I LOVE THEM! They're great!

3Monsters Empty Re: Monsters Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:15 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

If you can get a copy of it, Pathfinder Unchained does a decent job of quick monster creation. It doesn't cover fun things, but it gives a good indication of the basics.

Primarily the easiest thing to do when making a monster is to find something similar and modify it, then check it against something of the same CR that you've got. It's also worth considering the type of monster you're making, because some monsters are stronger than others (Dragons, for example, are much stronger for their CR than animals).

Looking at Toaster Pig several months after creation, they probably are a little low on CR. I never got to playtest these though. I think I based them off Bulettes and Dire Boars or something. Maybe a bit of Troll in there as well.
Regardless, try comparing them to something like a Nessian Hell Hound. There's a lot of similarity in power.

4Monsters Empty Re: Monsters Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:20 am

The Black Vegetable

The Black Vegetable
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I've gone ahead and spawned a few monsters for my campaign. They all have, in my opinion, quite a bit of flair. They should surprise the party and hopefully challenge them.

5Monsters Empty Abominations from template Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Thrush Fox:

Tasselled Dreadnought:

Chicken Naga:

Grizzly Squirrel:

Bearmog:

Ticleech Swarm:

Jellion:

Rappig:

Spider Troll   CR 6
CE Large Monstrous Humanoid
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60ft.; Perception +13

DEFENCE

AC 16, touch 11, flat-footed 14 (+2 Dex, +5 Natural, -1 Size)
hp 57 (5d10+30); regeneration 5 (acid or fire)
Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +4
Immune mind-affecting effects

OFFENCE

Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
Melee bite +9 (1d8+7 plus poison)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks web (+6 ranged, DC 22, 5 hp)

STATISTICS

Str 20, Dex 14, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 7, Cha 11
Base Atk +5; CMB +11; CMD 23 (35 vs. trip)
Feats Intimidating Prowess, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Perception +13, Stealth +10 (+14 in webs); Racial Modifiers +8 Climb, +4 Perception, +4 Stealth (+8 in webs)

SPECIAL ABILITIES

POISON (EX)
Bite—injury; save Fort DC 20; frequency 1/round for 6 rounds; effect 1d3 con and staggered; cure 2 consecutive saves. Save DC is Con based with a +2 racial bonus
STRONG WEBS (EX)
A Spider Troll's webs gain a +4 bonus to the DC to break or escape.

Hybrid of the Giant Black Widow Spider and a troll.

Sonic Death Troll   CR 10
CE Large Monstrous Humanoid
Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +20

DEFENCE

AC 22, touch 13, flat-footed 18 (+4 Dex, +9 Natural, -1 Size)
hp 162 (13d10+91)
Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +8
Resist sonic 10

OFFENCE

Speed 40 ft., swim 30 ft.
Melee pincer +18/+13/+8 (2d6+5 plus grab and sonic burst), pincer +18 (2d6+5 plus grab and sonic burst)
Power Attack pincer +14/+9/+4 (2d6+13 plus grab and sonic burst), pincer +14 (2d6+13 plus grab and sonic burst)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks rend (2 pincers, 2d6+5), sonic burst, speedy pincers

STATISTICS

Str 20, Dex 18, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 5
Base Atk +13; CMB +19 (+23 grapple); CMD 33 (45 vs. trip)
Feats Improved Initiative, Intimidating Prowess, Iron Will, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Perception), Toughness, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (Pincer)
Skills Intimidate +18, Perception +20

SPECIAL ABILITIES

SONIC BURST
A sonic death troll attacks with such extreme speed that its pincers issue a concussive blast of light and force when they snap closed. Each time a sonic death troll makes a pincer attack, whether it hits or misses, each creature in a 10-foot-radius burst centred on the attack’s target takes 1d8 points of sonic damage and must succeed at a DC 22 Reflex save or be stunned for 1 round. A creature that succeeds at this save is immune to the stun effect from additional sonic bursts from that giant mantis shrimp until its next turn, but it still takes sonic damage from additional sonic bursts. The sonic death troll is immune to this effect. The save DC is Constitution-based.
SPEEDY PINCERS (EX)
A sonic death troll can make iterative attacks with one pincer.

A hybrid of Giant Manis Shrimp and Troll

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum