The Yellow Wizard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ye Olde Roleplaying forum with ye tavern feele. Stay awhile, have an adventure

You are not connected. Please login or register

Some Cool News

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Some Cool News Empty Some Cool News Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:09 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Wow, an ego booster! A game designer liked the Security Blanket enough that she's offered to buy it (Although she's got to get the rights from Paizo first). Apparently it fits the theme of a book they're doing.

So, here's the thing: She's said she might also be interested in buying any other child-themed things I might come up with. If anyone has any ideas for an item or spell or what have you, you can either post them here and I'll turn them into something or I'll send them off to her if it seems to be fully designed

Forum people, I may not be able to send you any money that comes from this, but I'll definitely give you a large AS bonus since it's about all I can do in this situation.

Here are a few initial ideas
I'll probably do these first.

One of those dangling mobile things. In addition to a fascination effect, there will be themed variants that do other things. Current things I had in mind are Horses: summon a bunch of riding animals; Stars: create a hail of shooting stars that do damage; Wild Animals: Variety of creatures summoned, such as Lion, Elephant, Wolf, Bear, Leopard or Rhinoceros (or maybe as a bag of tricks); Fruit & Veg: creates sweet foods suitable for children.

Dizzy Top: Spin it and cause nearby enemies to spin wildly with the top, causing... nausea? Sickened? Staggered? Perhaps also granting a 20% miss chance and requiring acrobatics checks to stay upright?

Knockback Marbles: Roll a marble at something and send them flying with a sharp crack.

Clashing Monkey: One of those wind up monkeys with cymbals. It crashes the cymbals together loudly to create a zone of effective silence and a sound burst for a couple of rounds per day.

Alphabet Blocks of Creation: A collection of wooden blocks with various letters of the alphabet printed on them. Spelling a word with the blocks creates an illusion of the spelt word to appear. They can be "programmed" to recognise specific words such as "Mum" or "Dad" and play a short recorded "Video" of them.

Dreaming Pillow: It's soft and comfy, and you can sleep better with it. Immunity to nightmare and heal double from natural healing. Constantly under the effects of Lullaby. Pushing the theme a little, but maybe once per day smash it against something to release a cloud of feathers that works like fog cloud?

Timeskipping Rope: Some sort of time related effect that changes with how fast you skip with it. Move-equivalent acrobatics check to slow/haste things, with better effects the faster you skip?

Last edited by Quark on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

2Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:00 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Knockback Marble
Aura faint evocation and necromancy; CL 5th
Slot none; Price 280 gp; Weight -

Description
A faint hum comes from this scratched cat's eye marble. Despite its small size, it has a noticeable weight and has an aura of power surrounding it.

A knockback marble can be thrown at a target as a splash weapon. On a successful hit, the target is pushed back 10 feet unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save. If the movement would move the target through another creature's space or into a solid object, it takes 1d6 points of damage and falls prone. Regardless of whether the attack is successful or not, the knockback marble shatters on impact, creating a loud crack identical to that of a thunderstone.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, blindness/deafness, force punch; Cost 140 gp

My notes:
Consumable, so it's nice and cheap. Save DC is the same as the thunderstone's for convenience. Since it was a consumable I didn't want to make it too expensive, and the effect isn't quite like anything else. Ended up treating it as a 1st level force punch/Hydraulic push hybrid at CL 5 and stuck the thunderstone price on that.

Last edited by Quark on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

3Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:30 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Alphabet blocks of creation
Aura moderate illusion; CL 11th
Slot none; Price 134,500 gp; Weight 4 lbs.

Description
This collection of small, hand-crafted wooden cubes are each a different colour with large, easy-to-read letters carved into their surfaces.

Any word or phrase of no more than five words spelt with the alphabet blocks of creation causes a life-sized illusion of the spelt phrase to immediately appear five feet behind the blocks, so long as the illusion would fit within the area and is larger than 100 cubic feet in size. The illusions remain for up to ten minutes or until the blocks no longer spell out the phrase. If the phrase indicates movement, speech or sound, this is included in the illusion, but they seem disjointed and artificial; otherwise the image is silent and still.

On creation the blocks have a simple and child-friendly vocabulary that does not include names or places, but new words and phrases can be learnt by spending ten minutes showing them what is meant by the new word or phrase.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, programmed image; Cost 68,500 gp

My Notes:
Even though they basically just replicate the programmed image spell, I think I'm fine with this. The flavour of it seems appropriate. The sneaky ABC in the title I like as well.

4Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:22 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Silent Night Pillow
Aura faint enchantment and necromancy; CL 5th
Slot none; Price 12,000 gp; Weight 0.5 lbs.

Description
The scent of lavender beckons soothingly from this plump, pink silk duck-feather pillow. A design of three kittens sleeping in a wicker basket is sewn onto one side.

Sleeping with the pillow guarantees a good night's sleep, uninterrupted by any outside influences. The penalty on perception checks made while sleeping is doubled, but grants immunity to nightmare and doubles the effectiveness of natural healing. The improved quality of sleep allows healing beyond normal maximums, and any natural healing that would be wasted instead takes the form of temporary hit points up to a maximum equal to the creature's HD. These temporary hit points last 5 hours, and are lost if the creature becomes fatigued.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, deep slumber, false life; Cost 6,000 gp

My notes
No pillow fight item this time (Maybe a cursed one that does that later though). Just the item you need for tough parenting! The temporary Hit Points thing is a little cumbersome, so I might come back to that later. Price is basically the same as a slotless once-per-day false life.

5Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:24 pm

Onions

Onions
Golden Cat Lord
Golden Cat Lord

That is cool news! Maybe you should invite them to come to the forum and join on our pathfinder group! Oooo, and tell her about the mad baker too!

6Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:05 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Heh, that would be cool, but since she's a professional game designer and all I'm not sure she'd subject herself to my poor GMing style :P

You tend to have great ideas with this sort of thing, Onions, so feel free to post any of your awesome ideas that you might come up with!

Turns out Paizo owns the original version of the security blanket, so I'll work on a variant and post it here for your 'enjoyment' aka critique.

7Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:13 am

Daydream

Daydream
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

AWESOME! XD This is veryyyyy cool!!

Just write the following with no specific purpose:
Haiku spell book: A book with haikus, read the sentence on the pages, then you can have the power of Kotodama( mystical powers dwell in words and names),  and you can temporary be able to control enemies' mind, like fear? invisible?...
(Actually this idea is came from our GM's work XD)

8Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:40 am

Onions

Onions
Golden Cat Lord
Golden Cat Lord

Daydream wrote:AWESOME! XD This is veryyyyy cool!!

Haiku spell book: A book with haikus, read the sentence on the pages, then you can have the power of Kotodama( mystical powers dwell in words and names),  and you can temporary be able to control enemies' mind, like fear? invisible?...

Oo, that is cool Daydream. Maybe you could write a story about how it was created? Or maybe I can borrow your idea and write a story! And Quark totally invite her to come visit. Maybe she will play test her game with us? That'd be so cool.

9Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:08 pm

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I think I could come up with a suitable item to work with that. A bardic masterpiece could work as well. Shadow Conjuration and Shadow Evocation would seem like good spells to use there.

In the meantime, I'll throw out another two child themed items:

Dizzy Top
Aura moderate illusion and transmutation; CL 7th
Slot none; Price 22,400 gp; Weight 0.5 lbs

Description
With blue spirals and red stars liberally festooning its yellow surface, this large mithral spinning top is particularly eye catching. Several well concealed small holes on its underside create a low whistle as it spins.

The dizzy top can be set spinning as a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity with a successful DC 5 sleight of hand check. The dizzy top spins for 1 round plus 1 additional round for every 5 points that the check result exceeds the DC. While the dizzy top is spinning, any hostile creatures within 30 ft. that can see the top must make a DC 16 Will save each round or become horribly dizzy. Dizzy creatures are staggered, suffer a 20% miss chance and must make a DC 15 acrobatics check each round or fall prone.

The dizzy top immediately stops spinning if it collides with an object, and can be stopped as a free action by any creature in the dizzy top's space.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, slow, blur, hypnotic pattern; Cost 11,200 gp

My Notes
This is a different enough effect that pricing it is horrible. I'm calling it about 4th level spell equivalent, but the price is hit hard with saves each round (-15%), needing a skill check to use(-10%), a usually shorter-than-normal duration(-10%) and very easy stopping(-25%).

Golden Bouncing Ball
Aura moderate conjuration and evocation; CL 9th
Slot none; Price 9,000 gp; Weight 0.5 lbs.

Description
This shiny round ball is a thin layer of gold plating around an inflated pig's bladder. Its light weight and bounciness made it an excellent child's toy, even if it were not magical.

The golden bouncing ball is easy to find and retrieve if it gets lost. It leaves a soft, golden trail of light behind it when thrown and leaves a brighter spot on any surface it strikes. The light fades after one round. The ball lights up brightly on command, shedding light as a torch so long as it is within 200 feet. A creature that has owned a golden bouncing ball for at least 24 hours can teleport it to their hand as a swift action so long as it is within 100 feet.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, faerie fire, light, teleport; Cost 4,500 gp

My notes
Thanks to Daydream for giving me the idea for this one. These effects are basically the limning and called weapon properties, with light added on for good measure, so it's nice and easy to price.

10Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:18 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

A couple more items.

Timeskipping Rope
Aura strong transmutation; CL 17th
Slot none; Price 13,770 gp; weight 1 lb.

Description
This skipping rope has two gold-studded mahogany handles attached to both ends of the thin hemp rope that makes up its length. No matter how fast a creature skips with it, it always looks to be moving at the same, slow speed to an outside observer.

The timeskipping rope can magically extend and contract to be anywhere from 5 to 30 feet long so that it can be used solo or with up to four medium creatures. On command, the rope can animate, allowing it to be used without needing a creature to hold the handles. The speed of the rope can be adjusted as a free action once per round, but can start at any speed.

For up to ten rounds per day, the timeskipping rope can skip really fast. These rounds need not be consecutive, but they must be spent in 1 round increments. A creature skipping with the timeskipping rope during these rounds must make a DC 20 acrobatics check as a free action each round or cause all creatures using it to fall prone. Success on the check grants the benefits of haste for 1 round as the rope magically enhances the user's perception of time.

Two timeskipping ropes can be used in tandem for a complex double dutch skip. This increases the acrobatics check DC to 40 and uses five rounds worth of haste from each rope every round, but creatures using the rope are treated as if they had cast time stop instead of gaining haste.

A creature can jump through the timeskipping rope as part of a move action, but doing so increases the acrobatics check DC by +5.

Constuction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, animate rope, time shudder, time stop; Cost 13,770 gp

My Notes
This item... really doesn't do it for me, actually. Concept doesn't really work that well. This one is probably one I won't send in unless anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it.

Treehouse Seed
Aura strong transmutation and conjuration; CL 13th
Slot none; Price 183,000 gp; Weight -

Description
This large acorn looks and feels like it is made of red bricks. Its cap is slightly flakey with indications of roof tiles, and a tiny chimney is all that is left of its connection to the tree.

A treehouse seed grows into a collosal oak tree over the course of an hour once planted. Once the tree has finished growing, a well concealed door springs open at its base (Perception DC 20 to spot), revealing a beautifully carved mansion that extends all the way up the trunk of the tree. The mansion is complete with wooden beds and green, leafy bedding, a plenthora of rooms of various sizes and regularly spaced brightly glowing fungi. The rooms have woven vines to function as doors and rooms near the outside have knotholes to function as windows.

Though the layout of the mansion created by every treehouse seed varies, the first floor is always a grand dining hall with minature trees sprouting through a thick, wooden table. A variety of different perpetually fresh fruit grow on the trees, regrow any fruit picked the next day and otherwise function as goodberry. The top floor is a tiny room with a single acorn dangling from the ceiling in the middle. If plucked, the mansion shrinks down into a plant suitable for the area over the course of a hour, pushing out anything inside it, and the acorn becomes a new treehouse seed.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, plant growth, mage's magnificent mansion, goodberry; Price 91,500 gp

Treehouse Seed, Lesser
Aura moderate transmutation and conjuration; CL 7th
Slot none; Price 13,800 gp; Weight -

Description
A lesser treehouse seed is a small pinecone with 4 square glass windows embedded at its widest point.

When planted in the ground, over the course of an hour the lesser treehouse seed grows into a 60 foot high pine tree with dense foliage. A vine rope ladder grows on the side of the tree, leading up 30 feet into a 15 foot by 15 foot treehouse through a trapdoor in its floor. The treehouse is a living part of the tree, and contains a few crude wooden bunk beds, a table and chairs. There are four square glass windows in the walls of the house and a small balcony on one side.

The vine rope is the only way to reach the treehouse; while the occupants can see out of it as if it were there, any creature outside cannot see it at all. The vine rope can be raised or lowered freely, but five feet of the ladder always remain outside.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, plant growth, secure shelter, rope trick; Cost 6,900 gp

My notes
The initial treehouse seed ended up becoming... rather more expensive than I was expecting. Expensive enough that it would make a better "Mr. Happy the Hippie Druid Millionaire lives here" item than a child's item. And much more extravagant than expected.
So I made the muchmuch cheaper lesser version, which is cheaper largely because it's only single use.

Frogjump Trampoline
Aura faint transmutation; CL 5th
Slot none; Price 24,400 gp; Weight 20 lbs.

Description
A black canvas stretched tight between four dark green giant frog legs, a  frogjump trampoline is just large enough for four medium sized creatures to jump on safely. The legs feel cool and slimy to the touch, but hold tightly onto nearly any surface once placed.

A creature jumping on a frogjump trampoline is always treated as if they have had a running start on acrobatics checks made to jump, and jumps four times higher and two times further than normal. A creature never takes damage from falling or colliding with objects if they would do so from jumping on a frogjump trampoline. A creature on the frogjump trampoline that successfully uses the aid another action to help another creature on the trampoline to jump gives a +5 bonus on the check instead of the usual bonus for aid another.

A falling or jumping creature that makes contact with the canvas of a frogjump trampoline can make an acrobatics check to jump as an immediate action with a +20 enhancement bonus in addition to the other bonuses they would have received if they were jumping on the frogjump trampoline.

Construction
Requirements
Craft Wondrous Item, feather fall, fly, jump; Cost 12,200 gp

My Notes
Boing! This is a fun one. One I particularly wish I owned. Makes jumping actually a good way of getting somewhere. So long as that somewhere is up. Faster than fly, potentially. It's basically a one-round fly at will for up to 4 people. Since it's a direct improvement on jump but still not as good as fly, it's priced around half of what a mass flying item would cost.

11Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:28 pm

Daydream

Daydream
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I got an idea about bubble toy! the simple description is here:

"This toy is a big wooden circle with a sticker!
Wave it and make a giant bubble to revolve a creature into a special floating sphere,
so you can fly on the sky temporary! Move to your destination quickly with this bubble or just camp on the sky!
"

Onions wrote:
Daydream wrote:AWESOME! XD This is veryyyyy cool!!

Oo, that is cool Daydream. Maybe you could write a story about how it was created? Or maybe I can borrow your idea and write a story! And Quark totally invite her to come visit. Maybe she will play test her game with us? That'd be so cool.

Just write it! not sure if I can come out with a funny story about this book, but I can draw one. XD

12Some Cool News Empty Re: Some Cool News Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:41 am

Quark

Quark
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Double Bubble Wand
Aura moderate illusion, transmutation and conjuration; CL 7th
Slot none; Price 13,400 gp; Weight -

Description
Contained within a glass vial of shimmering fluid, this short, flexible wooden stick has a large hoop at one end. Dipping the hoop in the fluid and blowing through it creates magical bubbles, with different effects depending on the strength of the blow.

Slow and steady: Creates a large, floaty bubble. A single creature no larger than medium size can enter the bubble as a move action. Creatures in the bubble gain the effects of air walk, but are considered one size category smaller for the purposes of the effects of the wind. Taking any damage causes the bubble to pop, ending the effect prematurely. This bubble blow requires one use of fluid.

Moderate with spin: A cluster of large bubbles fill the surrounding area, obscuring vision as obscuring mist, but a 5 foot cube of bubbles is destroyed if any area effect attack hits the bubbles. This bubble blow requires one use of fluid.

Fast and energetically: A 30 ft. cone of bubbles surges forwards, bursting in the eyes of any creature in the cone. Any creature that fails a DC 13 Fortitude save is blinded for 1d4 rounds. This bubble blow requires one use of fluid.

Double Bubble: Combining all three of the bubble blowing techniques as a full-round action creates a special combination of effects. A creature using the double bubble wand in this way surrounds themselves with 1d4+2 bubbly copies of themselves, all seemingly trapped inside a bubble. The copies disperse, floating in random directions; if attacked, the bubble pops in a colourful bursts that blinds the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on DC 13 Fortitude save. This bubble blow requires two uses of fluid.

A newly created double bubble wand has enough fluid to last for 10 uses.

Construction
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, air walk, colour spray, mirror image, obscuring mist; Cost 6,720 gp

Notes
Thanks to Daydream for this item idea again!
I like this idea, but maybe I'll simplify it. Make single purpose ones first and build it up. One for each effect should work.
Price is based on 7th level spell with 10 charges, *1.2 to account for variety. Rough estimate.

Coming Soon:
Baby Mobiles (maybe)
Imaginary Friend (Monster template?)
Pet Rock

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum