The Yellow Wizard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ye Olde Roleplaying forum with ye tavern feele. Stay awhile, have an adventure

You are not connected. Please login or register

Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Empty Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Onions

Onions
Golden Cat Lord
Golden Cat Lord

Name: Adari
Race: Catfolk Fur Color:Grey
Class: Oracle

He comes from a village far in the southern swamplands (Marsh Willow), somewhat intermixed with catfolk, kobolds, faery folk, and the occasional human. The villagers were very superstitious, believing a mish mash of tales handed down from each of the races witch doctors and shamans. Prophecies were often made concerning a ruler who would emerge from them that would lead them out of the swamps and into more hospitable terrain. He was born to very unhappy catfolk parents, whose 3 other children were all stillborn in the litter aside from him.. they thought he was too small to make it as well, and were almost ashamed of him, but due to the circumstances of his birth, were glad to have even one child. The parents decided to keep him and raise him, this was not common, smaller cubs were typically left to die, as the catfolk tribes in this area maintained strong genes to ensure survival.

His parents named him, "MRGRRREEOWWRLL" which means Little Hand(s) (or Paw(s)) in Catfolk. His fur was very light grey, but as he grew older, it began to darken, and his stomach was spotted. He is a lighter grey than most tabby catfolk but bears similar markings. His eyes are green. For some reason, he was born more cat like than most catfolk, possibly the most cat like of any catfolk in his generation. He is prone to walk on all fours to keep up with catfolk of normal size. Due to his condition he was sometimes not regarded highly among humans, but catfolk, kobolds and faery folk can notice he is catfolk, though very small and treated him as a normal catfolk. Strangely no one gave him a hard time while he was growing up, though his parents did keep him shut in an extra year before letting him go out and play with the other boys his age.

As MRGRRREEOWWRLL grew to the age of 10, the Oracles among the Southern Tribal Catfolk recanted a prophecy that had been handed down through the ages.. of one who would lead the United Tribes.. (Those of the Catfolk, Kobold and Faery who were now residing in the swamps.. About 300 years prior, the kobolds catfolk and faery of the area were locked in bitter fighting. Each race wanted the plains for themselves, but mysteriously a great flood occurred.. wiping out a great portion of each race.. The tribes, still bitterly fought, and another flood occurred that very year, killing an even greater portion of the the warring tribes. The land seemed to change almost over night, as if by magic.. becoming a swamp. After this time, the remainder of each tribe met, and formed a peace agreement that has since been honored, for generations.. but that's a whole other imaginary story! Back to the united tribes) .. out of the "Swamp Ear" swamps and to more prosperous lands.

The Prophecy handed handed down was something like this.. "He would be of humble beginnings and small stature, to hide his importance from those that would seek to keep him down. Great tragedy would mark his birth, and his emergence to adulthood. He would be very knowledgeable, and very diplomatic. He would bear the markings of his tribe, but not the strength of his father or his father before him."

It was decided, Ferus the Leader of the Oracles, would take MRGRRREEOWWRLL and teach him the ways of the Oracle. Ferus knew the true meaning and outcome of the prophecy, and that it was not exactly what others expected it may be but he was of firm belief that Little Paw was a part of the prophecy.. something he would not share with the rest of the clan.. not even the little one he took to teach. For 3 and a half years he taught the young one.. he was very quick to learn, but did not apply himself in ways Ferus had hoped. He knew the boy was not daft, he was reading generations old Catfolk Manuscripts, and chanting spells he had taught him...

All was going as well as it could, until one day.. the sounds of barbarian horns calling out through the swamplands could be heard. The grounds shook, and instinctively the United Tribes all began to gather their weapons.. which by this time were little more than hunter's tools. Who in their right mind would want to invade the swamplands? Who would ever think the swamplands would be invaded? And for what gain!? This didn't matter, they quickly mounted what defensive fortifications they could.. Even Little Paw grabbed a spear and was ready to deliver the most fight that he could to protect the home that treated him so well despite his diminutive size. Ferus broke out of his morning meditations and looked around the primitive sacred building for his prized student.. near panicking he found him in the virtually indefensible ramparts.. "Little Paw, no! Follow me" After a little arguing he eventually got the little one, and gave him basic equipment and a few precious stones (their currency).. he convinced Little Paw to make a run for the Northern Hills, and seek help. There was a nomadic pack of Catfolk who had traded seasonally with the United Tribes he hoped Little Paw would find and convince them to come down and aid them. Before Little Paw could leave the village, a darkness seemed to overtake the sky.. it was morning, clearly some supernatural presence was at play, but he was not sure what it was. It began to rain as well, and suddenly he could smell smoke.. as he turned to look back at the village, he saw the home he loved so much burning before his eyes.. He could make out Ferus' shape in the distance, fighting with several warriors from the invader's tribe. These were humans he was fighting. He started to instinctively run back, but almost like there was some omnipotent knowledge his master had, Ferus looked over his shoulder and yelled "NO!!". It was just enough to bring Little Paw to his senses and he turned away from the village for the last time before running through the swamps to begin looking for the nomadic tribe.

A day of running behind him, he was just coming to the edge of the swamps, and he was exhausted and starving. He was tearful as well, though he kept trying to fight it back. He knew he would die if he didn't get some rest and food soon.. but he would also surely be tracked down and killed if he stopped now. In these thoughts.. *WHACK* He was knocked unconscious.

"Is this a dream?", he thought to himself.. slowly things started coming to him.. the smell of food was stirring him to consciousness.. he opened his eyes, but everything was blurry.. his head was hurting badly, and his ears were ringing. He awoke in some strange structure.. it looked as if there were furs on the.. floor? The walls were made of some kind of cloth. He had never seen anything like this. He rolled off the cot he was on, and saw a beautiful elvish woman sitting just outside the.. doorway? He could see several of these types of structures outside the doorway.. (tents, he'd never seen one before hehe) and scratched at her back to get her attention. She jumped up..

"AH!! *Θ╥▒å >ëw○  Ch┬ òL!!", The woman exclaimed. It hurt his head to hear her screaming, but she didn't seem to want to hurt him anymore than had already happened to him.. in honesty her eyes seemed kinder, gentler than he was used to. She turned her head to look away and ran away, looking as if she was going to find somebody. Little Paw realized he was naked, but saw all of his things were on a table in the strange building he was in. He collected them, down to the very last precious stone he was given by Ferus. These items meant very much to him.. they were the last things he had to remind him of his home in the swampwoods. He missed them now more than ever. He just wanted to go back home.

As Little Paw was gripped in these thoughts, and plotting the initial plans of his revenge, against this.. vague idea of who or what would have attacked his home, a tall Elven man in a red cloak and shining golden hued armor entered the "building". He began to speak, in the mysterious language of the woman he had startled.. Little Paw blinked, and spoke in his native tongue.. "Hey, I don't know what you're saying, but I am really hungry.. And my home".. Even among Catfolk his mannerisms were odd, but he grabbed the humanoid's pant leg and tugged on it, in an imploring way as he spoke, pointing in the assumed direction of his home through the walls of the tent he was in.

The Elf, tilted his head, and spoke in the Common tongue.. "Are you really a Catfolk, Little One?"

"Yes! I am, my brothers are dying as we speak! Unknown savages are attacking my home and destroyin.." As Little Paw spoke, the elf nodded and a grim expression came over his face.. he replied.. "Your home is no more. It has been a week and 4 days since we found you at the Edge of the Swamp Ear Forests.. Your land has been sacked, and the villagers slain, though some escaped. We could not help them, only our scouts could make out what remained of your village. We could tell by the things you had on you, that you must have been on an important mission, and as I can see you have gotten your things. So tell me, what is your name?"

"Li.. *sniffle* Little Paw, sir" he said. "I.. I am really alone n..now?" He could barely keep his head up, and he started sobbing openly. The elf knelt down onto one knee infront of him, and put his hand on the small catfolk's shoulder. "I am Garidune Ylai, son of Eposch son of Baelin of Ylai the Slayer of Ahcrom. You are a friend of the Elves now small one. I have seen many tragedies in this life, much war. You are not alone. You may be as family to us, so long as you have need, we will protect you."

For the next 6 years, Little Paw traveled with the Elves, practicing what he had studied under Ferus.. Forever remembering the day of tragedy that took him from his ancestral home. He never encountered the barbarians(?) that destroyed his home in all the time he spent with the Elves. He did manage to fight with orcs a few times, and never caught wind of any tales of survivors from his village. He was certain Garidune's scouts had seen tracks that indicated there were some survivors. The elves were kind to him, helping him get armor that was more suited to his small form, and light enough for him to move freely in. They also taught him elvish as well.. he studied their lore and seemed to grow very intelligent in those aspects.. but he was most well known for great conversation, and bringing calm to heated debates. His time outside of normal society left him a little um.. shy of understanding societal norms.. For elves, years travelling were like days to most other races.. and most of them were fully intellectually matured; and overall, they were very intelligent, so there was not much need to have to inform them of any of his discoveries... this became a habitual thing for him, though there were times where his knowledge helped. Especially his methods for cooking tasty tribal treats from his homeland. He was a somewhat skilled engineer at times, but he learned more than he contributed of course.

Finally, after a time, something inside of Little Paw began to tug at him.. something began to haunt him in his dreams.. was it a demon from his past? A ghost from his homeland? Each night he would fall to sleep, and be awoken by howling, just past the edge of the breeze.. he would look out of his tent every night just to see if anyone was there.. just to hear a thud of some kind just behind him.. He began to think his mind was playing tricks on him. One night, after talking to Garidune himself about his dreams, he went to sleep. The winds howled over the whole camp, blowing soup pans and various items about. Little Paw was in deep sleep.. he could hear Ferus' voice calling out to him, in a language he could not.. recall? Maybe he never knew it.. he could see a faint image of him like it was super imposed on an altar, performing some ritual.. in the night in his simple monastery.. holding an object, toward an ominous darkness.. and as the object began to become more clear a loud booming howl awoke him from his sleep.. his tent blew down.. and began to be dragged in the winds.. He climbed out of the tent.. He could hear voices in the wind.. some familiar, some not, chanting perhaps.. wicked things in his native tongue.. Elves came from there tents, shocked at what they had seen and heard. Eventually the winds calmed.. and the howls echoed away into the distance.. Never before had it been this bad.
Little Paw started to feel as if he needed to part ways with the Elves.. and begin to search for answers on his own.

The next day, after breakfast of course, he spoke with Garidune about his intentions.. Garidune convinced him to head north, to the City and seek council with the priests there on the nature of his haunting. "I have watched you grow for some time now Little Paw. You were an honest friend, and an ally in times of battle. For this, I bestow upon you an ancient name.. with an ancient meaning. I give you the name 'Adari'. There is no direct translation for this name, but in modern tongue, could be translated as 'He who is haunted'. It is from a book about a young boy who lost his home much as you did, and each day, it is said demons from the very pits of Khariduin twisted his soul as much as they could, but his will to be a strong man was never broken. He endured many hardships and is said to be alive to this very day, helping those who are in need." He looked down and shook his head quietly. "But enough of that tale. Tell the priests of your name.. and perhaps they will help you."

2Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Empty Re: Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Mister Dicey

Mister Dicey
Yellow Wizard

Just so I have a record of what I've given you:

Proficiency in Elven weapons, and a masterwork one of your choice (The shortbow). Since it's specifically mentioned, you have a +2 bonus on Survival, Knowledge(engineering) and Profession(Cook).
You also had a choice of
300 gp
600 gp worth of scrolls and potions
A bonus feat

And you chose the bonus feat, which was Scribe Scroll.

https://theyellowwizard.rpg-board.net

3Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Empty Re: Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:18 pm

Einstein

Einstein
Adventurer
Adventurer

Now that is a background novel^^

Very nice, though I am no native english speaker, I think you learned the art of story-telling.

Welcome!

4Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Empty Re: Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:41 am

Daydream

Daydream
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

Welcome and nice story!
Can I ask how did you create your HP bar under your character sheet?
I think it is useful .:D

5Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Empty Re: Adari, Catfolk (Felpurr) Oracle Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:27 am

Onions

Onions
Golden Cat Lord
Golden Cat Lord

Einstein wrote:Now that is a background novel^^

Very nice, though I am no native english speaker, I think you learned the art of story-telling.

Welcome!
*Blush*
Daydream wrote:Welcome and nice story!
Can I ask how did you create your HP bar under your character sheet?
I think it is useful .:D
In your "profile" tab, there is a tab for "Character Sheet" click it and choose to activate it. You can fill out all your stats, or choose to leave most of it blank.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum