The Yellow Wizard
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ye Olde Roleplaying forum with ye tavern feele. Stay awhile, have an adventure

You are not connected. Please login or register

Craft skill synergies?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Craft skill synergies? Empty Craft skill synergies? Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:15 pm

The Black Vegetable

The Black Vegetable
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I don't know about you, but I'm not keen on the ideas of certain crafting skills. Trap making and bowmaking seem okay but have sharply limited usage. Any thoughts?

2Craft skill synergies? Empty Re: Craft skill synergies? Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:40 pm

Mister Dicey

Mister Dicey
Yellow Wizard

For some skills, yes, it'd make sense to have synergies. All subject to GM approval, of course.
I would try and keep crafting skills in as broad a category as possible when chosing them though, to make it clear what it is that you're learning to make.
If you pick a specific item or type of item, such as a bow or sword, I would talk with the GM when making such an item to lower the crafting DC, get a bonus or something similar to represent training in crafting a specific item. You'd never choose Craft (Sword) over Craft (Weapons) otherwise.
From memory, examples they often use of crafting skills are:

Traps
Arms
Armour
Alchemy
Leather
Carpentry
Ships
Siege Engines
Smithing

Basically, things to do with particular items or with particular materials. It'd make sense for someone who could do things with leather to make leather armour, for example, but not to me able to make Chain Mail. Likewise, a Smith could make metal armour and weapons, but not things like bows or leather armour.

https://theyellowwizard.rpg-board.net

3Craft skill synergies? Empty Re: Craft skill synergies? Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 pm

The Black Vegetable

The Black Vegetable
Great Adventurer
Great Adventurer

I was thinking for some of them, the conventional style synergies might work. Things like 5+ ranks in spell craft → +2 in alchemy or ranger with bow style → +2 to arrowsmithing. Also carpentry could realistically grant half ranks to ship building due to the large amount of woodwork required.

4Craft skill synergies? Empty Re: Craft skill synergies? Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:02 am

Mister Dicey

Mister Dicey
Yellow Wizard

Yes, those make sense. You could probably find more. I suppose ultimately it's up to the GM you're playing with (And if you can convince them).
I am open to reason in that regard (Perhaps too much so).

https://theyellowwizard.rpg-board.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum